Tai Poutini Polytechnic has accommodation available for students studying at our Greymouth Campus. Accommodation options for students studying in Westport and Wanaka are listed at the bottom of this page.
Tai Poutini Polytechnic has a duty of pastoral care to all of our students, and specific requirements for residents of our accommodation under the Education (Pastoral Care of Tertiary and International Learners) Code of Practice 2021 to ensure that our residents live in a safe environment and have a positive experience that supports their educational achievement and personal development.
Tai Poutini Village units are all in close proximity (200 metres) of the Greymouth Campus, as well as the Greymouth central business district.
Weekly rental is $153.00 per room (inclusive of electricity) for 2022. Upon acceptance of your application, an initial payment of $756.00 is required within five working days to secure your place. This is made up of:
Property Bond $350.00
Two weeks’ rent in advance $306.00
Administration Fee (non-refundable) $100.00
Fifty-eight rooms are available, consisting of shared housing and single units.
What is supplied?
- Beds - king singles
- Washing machines and dryers (require $2 to operate)
- Communal drying room
- TVs (common areas only)
- All units have a landline for local calls only
- All units are supplied with fridge/freezer, furnishings, microwave, jugs, toaster and basic cooking equipment
What do I have to supply?
- All bedding (duvet, blankets, sheets, pillows, pillowcases), towels, flannels and tea towels
- Insurance to cover personal belongings
- As the accommodation is self-catering, meals are residents’ responsibility
- There is zero tolerance to illegal drugs, alcohol, cigarettes or vaping.
- All residents must be at least 18 years of age.
- Accommodation is self-catering.
- Cleaning equipment is supplied, but residents are required to supply their own cleaning products.
- Residents are expected to respect the House Rules that are published in each house/unit.
- There is limited off-street parking.
- Pets are not permitted.
- All rooms are subject to periodic inspection.
How to apply for a place in Student Accommodation
Please note that we cannot confirm your place in accommodation until you have been accepted onto a programme at Tai Poutini Polytechnic.
As there is limited accommodation available, we encourage you to apply as early as possible.
- Complete the application form which can be found here.
- Arrange for the Referee Form to be completed, which can be found here.
- Email your completed forms to firstname.lastname@example.org
- We will acknowledge receipt of your application.
- Your application will be assessed by the Student Accommodation Committee.
- You will be notified of the outcome of your application within 7 working days of receipt of your completed documentation.
- If you are allocated a place, you will be sent the following documents:
Student Accommodation Agreement
Student Accommodation House Rules
Student Accommodation Payment Details
- You then have five working days to return the signed Agreement and pay the Entry Fee Payment to secure your place. Failure to do so may result in your place being allocated to another resident.
Please send your application and supporting documentation to:
Student Accommodation Co-ordinator
Tai Poutini Polytechnic Limited
73-87 Tainui Street
Tai Poutini Polytechnic Limited
Private Bag 607
If you have any queries about student accommodation, please contact Rebecca Stanger:
Freephone: 0800 555 109
Mobile: 027 228 0170
Accommodation in other areas
Westport Kiwi Holiday Park | 03-789 7043
Bazils Hostel Ltd | 03-789 6410
Pakington ensuite Homestay | 021 252 2780
Focsle Hostel | 03-788 8060
TripInn Hostel - YHA | 0800 737 773 or 03-789 7367
A range of accommodation is available in Wanaka including rental housing, private board, hostel/backpacker and five camping grounds.
Some students arrange accommodation as early as possible in order to secure a place. Students who don’t secure their accommodation before arriving in Wanaka typically spend a week in a motor camp before they get sorted. Please complete the “Sharing of Contact Information” section of the ski patrol questionnaire and return if you are interested in sharing accommodation with other Ski Patrol students.
The average rental price for a 3bedroom unfurnished house in Wanaka is around $600 per week. This equates to approximately $150 per person per week. Houses can come furnished or unfurnished.
Private board often includes meals, power and phone. Prices vary and are usually advertised in “The Messenger”.
There are several camping grounds in the Wanaka area with a range of cabins, tents and caravan sites.
Typically facilities include single or twin share rooms, kitchen and common room. The average rate is $25.00 per night. Cheaper rates are negotiable for long term stayers.
Wanaka Accommodation Contact details
Wanaka Top 10 Holiday Park | 03-443 7766
Lake Outlet Holiday Park | 03-443 7478
Wanaka Lakeview Holiday Park | 03-443 7883
Mountain View Backpackers | 0800 112 201
Wanaka YHA | 03-443 1880
Lake Hawea Holiday Park | 03-443 1767
Matterhorn South Lodge and Backpackers | 03-443 1119
Mt Aspiring Holiday Park | 03-443 7360
Real Estate Agents that may also be able to help you find accommodation
Harcourts Real Estate | 03-443 7829
Home & Co | 021 225 7368
The list above is not exhaustive.
Advertisements can also be placed in Wanaka’s local newsletter ‘The Messenger’.
Contact: Philippa on 03 769 7925, this can also be read online here.
Satellite towns of Hawea, Albertown and Luggate also offer potential rental properties within 10 minutes driving time of Wanaka.